In 1638 the Finnish
government set up a committee to translate the Bible into good, pure
Finnish that could be understood by Finns all over the country. Their
work was finished in 1642, and because there was no printing press in
Finland that could print the entire Bible in folio size, it was
printed in Stockholm at the press of Heinrich Keyser. It was titled
Biblia, Se on: coci Pyhä Ramattu suomexi, in an edition of 1,200
The stamp was issued in 1942 to mark the 300th
anniversary of the printing of the first complete Bible in Finnish.
Agricola had printed his translation of the New Testament in 1548.