In Tiberias about 900 C.E.
Shlomo ben Buya'a copied a manuscript of the Tanak under the
supervision of Aaron ben Moses Ben-Asher, the last and most
prominent member of the ben-Asher dynasty of Masoretes from Tiberias,
who verified the text, and provided it with vowel points,
accents and masoretic notes.
The manuscript was brought to Jerusalem where it
remained until the 11th century when it was stolen and taken to Cairo.
At the end of the 14th century it was brought to Aleppo, Syria where
it remained until 1947 when it disappeared during anti-Jewish riots.
In 1958 it reappeared and was brought to Jerusalem where it is
preserved in the Shrine of the book.
Of the 487 leaves of the original only 295 remained
when the Codex was returned to Israel. The first four and a half books
(to Deuteronomy 28:17) and some of the Writings were missing. The
books of the Penteteuch have been restored from the marginal
quotations in the later books. The Codex is being restored and
The manuscript is known as Keter Aram Zova, "The
Crown of Syria."